Over ten years of experience with advance knowledge, obtained through a combination of experience and relevant education in the field of construction and commissioning and start-up of modern electrical systems on oil and gas, refinery, and/or petrochemical Industries.
BSc or BEng or equivalent degree in Electrical or equivalent degree in relevant major.
Position has responsibility to provide assistance in the delivery of all commissioning aspects of electrical components. These will include but not be limited to LV and MV (up to 10 KV) switchgear, transformers, rectifiers, motors, inverters, batteries, diesel-generator-sets, power cables and systems as well as control, protection and monitoring for the power components.
In-line with this objective you will be responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining commissioning plans, procedures and practices for electrical systems, key systems and equipment support.
Review project area designs and contractor’s commissioning plans, procedures and key work practices and ensuring consistent implementation across contractors commissioning plans, procedures and key work practices across the site.
Oversee commissioning activities related to the Electrical system to ensure acceptance testing and performance evaluation requirements are met.
Provide pre-operational verification and commissioning support including start-up of equipment; ensure reliable operation of Electrical equipment in their area of accountability. This service would include hardware and software support, debugging and troubleshooting.
Seek continuous improvement in commissioning methods to optimise the commissioning processes to enable safe and efficient commissioning of Company assets.
Provide support and coaching the operations and maintenance team to assist with electrical related breakdowns.
Provide technical support, create, change, control, complete and review design documentation i.e. functional specifications, procedures and policies, conceptual designs, etc.
Ensure that construction and commissioning schedules remain aligned and communication is established and maintained between the construction teams, the Electrical Commissioning team and the overall project’s commissioning department.
Have sufficient technical knowledge and awareness of details to be able to recognize when technical problems are developing, and to initiate appropriate corrective actions.
Ensure all commissioning activities are completed with stringent adherence to the Company’s HSSE policies and shall be proactive in assisting the Commissioning Superintendent enhancing the HSE culture to comply with the Company’s strategies.
- Strong leadership and supervision skills
- Knowledge of requirements for hazardous area equipment
- Hands on Experience in design, selection, engineering, installation, and commissioning of electrical equipment, substations and power generation packages for the oil and gas, refinery, and/or petrochemical Industries
- Knowledge of requirements for hazardous area equipment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of the National Electrical Code and various industry standards, such as OSHA and NFPA.
- Knowledge on operations, commissioning, construction standards, procedures and QA/QC
- Excellent theoretical background and analytical skills on high voltage transmission, power cable design and installation.
- Knowledge and theoretical understanding of building electrical systems, including normal and emergency power distribution systems, critical power systems, generators, UPS and batteries, monitoring and alarm systems, automatic transfer switches, metering, motor control centers, and interlocks.
- In depth knowledge of electrical power generation and distribution systems.
- Ability to undertake assignments involving generators.
- Ability to carry out commissioning and performance/acceptance testing of large electrical equipment.
- Experience in fault diagnosis and rectification of control and protection equipment.
- In depth product knowledge of all makes of machines and extensive site experience.
- Experience in operation and maintenance of all types of switchgear.
- Extensive experience of safe systems of work in relation to high voltage electrical systems, all other aspects of site safety and maintaining site safety.
- Ability to carry out electrical testing on high and low voltage windings in the field.
- Sound knowledge of Oil & Gas processes and technologies
- Excellent collaboration and team working skills
- Resilience in the face of change
- Experience working in multidiscipline projects and capable of operating effectively across a number of technical areas
- Delivers Results and Customer Focus
- Analyses and Solves Problems.
- Proficiency in use of electrical engineering software.
- Proven technical competency in electrical design/engineering and ability to carry out safe and fit-for-purpose designs.
- Thorough knowledge of industry/international standards and ability to interpret the same for specific applications.
- Accountable to the Commissioning Engineer Team Lead
- Be an integral part of a multidiscipline, integrated commissioning team.
- Take an active role in demonstrating that all Electrical systems are prepared for the commencement of commissioning activities.
- Review and implement the approved Commissioning Procedures.
- Provide timely and accurate information on Electrical equipment issues that may impact construction/completion of any associated systems to ensure compliance with commissioning expectations.
- Compilation of commissioning work packs using design and vendor documentation.
- Work with the construction teams to develop an integrated construction/commissioning plan.
- Directs integration of technical activities and products.
- Maintenance of check sheet and punch list tracking database.
- Support the project teams in preparation for construction and commissioning.
- Support the project teams in implementing Flawless Project Delivery.
- Monitor the construction activities and provide assistance to the team to resolve problems.
- Witness pre-commissioning tests carried out by vendors and contractors to ensure compliance with standards.
- Ensure timely compilation of handover documentation.
- Ensure project personnel assigned to project have full knowledge of the scope, project plan and deliverables to the contract standards and specification.
- Review and comment project specific electrical single line diagram, power layouts and data sheets and specification for equipment and power distribution system where necessary to progress a project or to meet operational defined milestones and deadlines.
- Coordinate activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling, and resolving engineering design and test problems.
- Manage interfaces internally between project disciplines and externally with suppliers and sub-contractors
- Evaluates and approves design changes, specifications and drawing releases.
- Identify engineering problems and ensure solutions are implemented.
- Evaluate, organize and prioritize workload within a schedule.
- Liaise with third party contractors to ensure all equipment is fit for purpose.
- Ensure that other commissioning groups are fully aware of the need to deliver effective system commissioning.
- Provide guidance to the Completions and Certification Group in implementing the commissioning certification and handover process.
- Ensure the Senior Commissioning Engineer is kept informed of progress and issues throughout all completions phases.
- Verify that all Electrical equipment hardware systems are commissioned, handed over and accepted in a timely manner, ensuring quality and completion of handover dossiers and agreed punch lists.
- Assist in the preparation of Pre-Ownership punch lists for each block of systems.
- Assist in the review and close out of any Punch List items
- Assist in the review and close out of Site Queries
- Assist in the review and close out of Technical Verification lists
- Working closely with Project and Operations discipline personnel across the assets to identify the scope and interface requirements for each of the commissioning and start up milestones.
- Become fully familiar with their relevant asset start up manual and provide discipline support during the hydrocarbon facility start-up.
- Work closely with project and operations to help develop team’s skills and competency requirements for initial startup.