Total Projects Executed
Total Person Hours
Total Contracts Value ($)
Executing projects in Control & Automation Systems for over 30 years covering the full life cycle from Concept to Design, Engineering, Contruction, Commissioning, Start-up and Process Optimisation has resulted in diverse experience and us delivering real value to our customers. We look forward to working with you to delivering your requirements.
We provide expertise and tailored solutions for the design and execution of replacement, upgraded or new control systems.
We use our knowledge of engineering, information technology and business to integrator plant equipment to automate manufacturing and processes from the plant floor to the enterprise level. We manufacturers and processors to automate to reduce cost, increase production, use less energy and lower environmental impact.
Here are the typical services we offer covering the full life cycle of an integrated automated control system:
Client sometimes do not have enough information about a process or system to provide a requirement specification or even know if a project is feasible. In these cases our engineers carry out a feasibility study and provide the client with a report and what technical solutions are available with order of magnitude budget costs to allow clients to plan and apply for their budgets. Our engineers can then take this process one step further and produce a User Requirements Specification.
As well as feasibility studies and user requirements specifications our engineering teams can produce other special reports, investigations and audits. These can vary from obsolescence reports, where we carry out a detailed assessment of the status of assets, to independent incident investigations, where we provide a detailed report looking at the design, operation and any defects within a system involved in a incident.
At Abalto, we have multiple engineering teams who carry out the design of control systems with in-house design capabilities for all elements of the control systems design process from specification and hardware design to the production of software, build and installation documentation.
From sizing equipment to designing custom control panels, our in-house engineers have a wide range of hardware design capabilities. All our electrical schematics are produced in an electrical drawing package, ensuring consistency in the drawing styles as well as allowing automatic referencing and production of documents such as cable schedules and cable block diagrams for consistent and quick panel builds.
Our in-house Software Design Engineers have extensive knowledge of DCS and PLCs from all major manufacturers and can produce software in many languages including Ladder Logic, Statement List, Structured Text, Sequential Function Chart (Grafcet) and more. Our engineers work closely with clients to produce a user friendly system Graphical User Interface (GUI) with Human Machine Interface (HMI) providing process status and diagnostics and/or a Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition system (SCADA) with a Historian and Reporting capabilities.
As part of our turnkey solution following the design stage of a project, we assemble and build all elements of a control system typically consisting of Control panels, Motor Control Centres (MCC), Control desks, Operator stations, Network and server racks, DC & PLC systems, Server systems, Network equipment, Thin clients & thick clients and Instrumentation.
As well as building systems to British and European Standards, we provide systems worldwide, including China (CCC), Canada (CSA) and the USA (UL), meeting all appropriate local standards ending with a Factory Acceptance Test.
During the design process our engineers will produce installation documentation such as cable block diagrams, cable schedules and termination schedules. These documents are used by our installation team and ensure the systems are installed accurately as per our design.
Our installation technicians teams provide a full service, including cable management systems, power cabling, control & instrumentation cabling, panel installation, testing, certification and remedial works and instrumentation installation.
Should our client prefer to carry out the installation in-house or with their preferred subcontractor, Abalto will provide the all necessary installation documentation. If required, we provide a supervisor to oversee the work who can test the installation to ensure it is as per our design documentation.
In addition to electrical installation as part of a turnkey package, Abalto can offer mechanical installation services for minor works.
We have a dedicated team of Commissioning Engineers and Technicians who have experience in commissioning complex control systems on many different sites all over the world. Our Commissioning Engineers will oversee and test the installation of a system before commissioning.
Our Engineers routinely undertake the following tasks including Installation verification, System power-ups, Input/output (I/O) checking, Instrumentation calibration and validation, Hardware commissioning, Software commissioning (DCS/PLC/SCADA), Safety validation, Process & application commissioning, Site Acceptance Testing (SAT).
We routinely provide operator training on the processes and systems equipment as well as training maintenance staff. To support this we offer a comprehensive training program, structured and tailored to the projects specific requirements which will generally include providing operations staff with detailed knowledge of all operator interfaces and how to operate the system to maximum performance and benefit.
WE also provide maintenance staff with detailed knowledge on how to diagnose faults, plan maintenance, rectify faults and quickly return the system to full performance, giving technical support staff in-depth knowledge on how to modify the system to achieve desired changes in functionality and providing management with a summary of the systems available with an explanation of performance monitoring and extraction of available information.
Our Service Team offer a completely bespoke preventative maintenance and support service. Currently, this team is responsible for over 20 sites throughout Europe with clients from all of our industry sectors.
Our service support is your insurance against unplanned and potentially costly plant outages. We are experts in the support and maintenance of software and complex control and instrumentation systems.
As well as our own expertise, we have teamed up with strategic partners to offer full turnkey support, including mechanical and hydraulic services.
It is important that our support services meet the requirements of our clients and so we create a tailor-made support agreement which can include any or all of the following services; scheduled preventative maintenance visits, scheduled instrument calibration visits, 24/7 callout support with guaranteed response times, remote telephone support, remote diagnostics via secure connection, holding and servicing of spare parts, system auditing, online reporting services and obsolescence management.
- Production of User Requirement Specifications (URS)
- Conducting Feasibility studies
- Preparing budget costs
- Preparation of Obsolescence reports
- Safety assessments and audits
- Independent incident investigations
- Develop Project Execution Plan
- Develop Quality Management Plan
- Develop Hot Swap Changeover Plan
- Develop Method Statements & Risk Assessments
- Conduct Site Visit Report and Present to client
- Develop System Architecture
- Develop IP Addressing Schema
- Develop Other Systems Interfacing Specification
- Develop Control Philosophy
- Develop Functional Design Specification
- Develop Systems Design Specification
- Develop Graphics Design Philosophy
- Develop Graphics Functional Design Specification
- Develop Graphics Detailed Design Specification
- Develop IO List IO Database
- Develop Control Room Equipment Layout
- DCS, PLC, SCADA & HMI Control System Design
- Create Process Sequence Simulation
- Develop Cabinet Assembly Drawings
- Develop Hook Up & Installation Drawings
- Develop Cable Block Diagram
- Develop Junction Box ICTD
- Develop Cable Schedule
- Develop Instrument Location Layout
- Develop Instrument F&G Layout
- Develop Instrument Trench Layout
- Develop Loop Diagrams
- Review or Create IPS & FGS Cause & Effects
- Develop Sequence Charts
- Develop Functional Logic Diagrams
- Design DCS or PLC Software Typicals
- Design HMI or SCADA System Screens Typicals
- DCS or PLC Software Design/Modification
- DCS or PLC Control System Modification
- Develop Process & Sequences Simulation
Motor Control Centres (MCC)
Local Field panels
Network and server racks
HMI & SCADA systems
DCS & PLC systems (including safety & redundant)
Server systems (including redundant and virtualised)
Network equipment (including wireless)
Thin clients & thick clients
Factory Acceptance Testing
- Site Installation & Supervision
- Cable management systems
- Mains distribution and power cabling
- Control and instrumentation cabling
- Panel installation
- Testing, certification and remedial works
- Instrumentation installation & calibration
- Site Software Modification
- Site Panel Modifications & instrument cabling
- Installation verification
- System power-ups
- Input/output (I/O) checking
- Instrumentation calibration and validation
- Hardware commissioning
- Software commissioning (DCS/PLC/SCADA)
- Safety validation
- Process & application commissioning
- Site Acceptance Testing (SAT)
- Conduct Start-up
- Conduct Process Optimisation
- Provide operations staff with detailed knowledge of all operator interfaces and how to operate the system to maximum performance and benefit.
- Provide maintenance staff with detailed knowledge on how to diagnose faults, plan maintenance, rectify faults and quickly return the system to full performance.
- Give technical support staff in-depth knowledge on how to modify the system to achieve desired changes in functionality.
- Provide management with a summary of the systems available with an explanation of performance monitoring and extraction of available information.
- Scheduled preventative maintenance visits
- Scheduled instrument calibration visits
- 24/7 callout support with guaranteed response times
- Remote telephone support
- Remote diagnostics via secure connection
- Holding and servicing of spare parts
- System auditing
- Online reporting services
- Obsolescence management
Project Execution Plan
Quality Management Plan
Hot Swap Changeover Plan
Method Statements & Risk Assessments
Site Visit Report and Presentation
Interfaces to Other Systems
IP Addressing Sub-Net Design
Functional Design Specification
Systems Design Specification
Graphics Design Philosophy
Graphics Functional & Detailed Design Specification
IO Schedule & Database
Control Room Equipment Layout
Cabinet Assembly Drawings
Hook Up & Installation Drawings
Cable Block Diagram
Junction Box ICTD
Instrument Location Layout
Instrument F&G Layout
Instrument Trench Layout
IPS & FGS Cause & Effects Create or Review
Functional Logic Diagrams
DCS or PLC Software Engineering Typicals
DCS or PLC Software Engineering/Modification
HMI or SCADA Screens Design Typicals
HMI or SCADA Screens Design/Modification
Process & Sequences Simulation
Factory Acceptance Test (Report)
Site Acceptance Test (Report)
IO Testing (Records)
Alarm & Trip Settings